Having a malfunctioning garage door can be frustrating. Several homeowners find themselves in this situation, especially during the winter season. Instead of getting frustrated, you should use your skills to do some troubleshooting activities to resolve the problems. First of all, spend few minutes inspecting the garage door thoroughly to see if the safety features are functioning properly. Sometimes the safety features stop the garage door from working. Visit the website to learn some of the troubleshooting tips that you could use before calling a professional garage door company:
- Normally, garage doors come with settings like an automatic lock or vacation mode. If your garage door is set to that mode, then it will not open correctly even with remote control. You will have to unlock and operate it manually to set back to the normal position from inside the garage.
- Check the batteries of the remote to see if they have enough power. If you are using rechargeable batteries, then it could be a problem. First of all, replace the batteries to see if they work. In case the remote is powering on and you are able to operate the garage door from the wall-mounting keypad, then your remote is to blame.
- Make sure that cables and other electric wires are in a good working position. There may be frayed or broken cables on your garage door. Sometimes, the power supply may be switched off. In the case of electric problems, you need to hire a professional garage door service to fix the problems.
- Inspect the hardware of garage door carefully to see if there are any sign of wear and tear or malfunctioning. For an overhead garage door that swings open upward, and obstruction on the ground. If your garage door has a loose or broken spring, the garage door will not work correctly.
- Check the automatic sensors to confirm that they are aligned properly and their lights are on. In case the lights on the sensors are not blinking, it would need alignment or replacement. Make sure nothing should be obstructing the path of garage door sensors.
Trust the professional garage door experts:
The overhead automatic garage door functions on a simple mechanism. These garage doors are installed with springs and mechanical pulleys to function. So it is not hard to understand what is going wrong with your garage door. Minor garage door problems can be easily fixed using DIY handy techniques. Garage door replacement and other major fixes should not be conducted through DIY projects. The main reason is that automatic garage doors and their springs need to be fixed thoroughly. These projects are complicated and can hurt you badly if a heavy garage door falls on you. Even if you are a mechanical expert, it is always recommended to inspect the garage door with the help of professionals.
There are some tasks which you can perform on your own like, greasing the springs and other moving parts. You can also occasionally fix the nuts, hinges, and screws. If you are not confident enough and not familiar with the mechanism of the garage door, it is always recommended that hire a professional and trustworthy garage door company for a project.